Friday, April 9, 2010

Friday Five Excitement!

All things bookish and writerly this week:

1. I read two FAB YA books recently: Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors (magical realism done right, along with a sideplot that deals with a family's financial problems--a rarity in YA) and The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting (OK, I read every word, but it felt like I ran through this book--I needed to know how it would end. This is a true thriller.) Check them out.

2. Our local librarians have done a fantastic job with our library's YA section. They've turned it into a total hangout, complete with chaise lounges and comfy rugs and good lighting. The teens want to spend time there, and they do. The next town over has a separate library set up just for YA literature! This makes me happy.

3. I was speaking with a friend who I hadn't seen in a while. When I mentioned I was writing YA, this person said, "Oh, good choice. Those are the easiest books to write and the most lucrative." I kept my mouth shut (probably because I was choking on my gum), but you could imagine the things running through my head. I hate everything a statement like this implies! What I ended up saying was, "Yeah, you're right. Maybe you should try it sometime." I guess that was kind of passive-aggressive, but, oh, well...

4. I love Twitter, but...I think I'm going to establish "dark periods" where I log off the Internet and devote that time to writing. Twitter is awesome, but the constant interaction is too alluring for a conversation starved writer. Writing can be lonesome endeavor, and for me, it needs to be if I want to do it right. So far fewer tweets from me, at least until I finish this book!

5. Check out Lisa and Laura's blog today for a guest post by Ms. Booksniper, the mysterious publishing insider whose fantastic and informative blog is just getting off the ground. She's funny and charming and in-the-know. I just wish I could figure out who she is....

Have a great weekend, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. I got mad reading #3. How underminey! I would have been equally passive-aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Can't wait to check out COFFEEHOUSE ANGEL. TBF was AWESOME.

    2. Libraries as hang outs? I would have lived there as a tween.

    3. I'm not sure I would have been that polite. Ugh.

    4, I go in spurts on Twitter. Somedays I'll have 20 tweets, and the next 0. I guess it's pretty obvious when I'm procrastinating.

    5. Hoorah for the Ms. Sniper! Everyone come ask lots of questions. Thanks for the shout out, L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear about this coffeehouse angel book! And I'm with u about Twitter. We had to close our account. Too distracting for sure.

    ReplyDelete