Friday, November 12, 2010

Freaky Friday

And so it goes...



1. I'm not cut out for NaNoWriMo. I've spent November editing one project, readying another to pitch to my agent, and writing my current WIP. I have no idea how many words I've written (or deleted). Counting them now just seems...exhausting. I know: I suck.

2. I've got nothing against book packaging companies--some wonderful series have come out of that world--but James Frey's sweatshop mentality creeps me out. Check out the story in New York Magazine.


3. I'm convinced picking paint colors for my house is the hardest thing I'll ever do. I find this task more difficult than writing a novel. Oy! How do decorators do this all the time? It's causing me major stress. Maybe I'll post the color choices and have you guys do the picking?


4. I'm making a lot of my Christmas gifts this year. The aunts are getting knitted washcloths and homemade soap or scarves. Seems more in line with the holiday spirit, no?


5. I'm teaching Hamlet this term (Go ahead. Laugh. But believe it or not I've actually memorized some parts.). My students are really into it, and though we've read the play, I wanted to show them a film version. Well, there are many good ones--how to choose? After much deliberation, I went with the Mel Gibson version. He's really, really good as Hamlet--maybe the whole madness thing came easy for him?



"Though this be madness, yet there is method in`t."


Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I read that James Frey article too and was also creeped.

    I LOVED Hamlet when we studied it in high school! We watched the Mel Gibson version for the first part because our teacher couldn't get the Kenneth Branagh one, but then he went out of his way to rent it elsewhere. So we watched the Kenneth Branagh version for the end half. Both were good, but though the time period is different, I liked the Branagh one better. Mel Gibson's Hamlet was a little creepy...?

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I admit it: I think I have a Mel Gibson fixation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The James Frey thing has me feeling weird. I'm still trying to digest it. That article made him seem...bleh....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hamlet is fantastic, but oh, Mel...how the mighty have fallen....

    LoNoNeNaNo = Loretta No Need NaNo, ha!

    ReplyDelete