Friday, February 26, 2010

Friday Five

Very random this week:


1. Common Sense Media: OK, this topic has been kind of tweeted/blogged to death this week, but I just wanted to add my two cents. As a parent, I understand how difficult it is to filter through all the television shows/books/movies kids might be interested in. Organizations like CSM attempt to highlight the potentially objectionable, to save parents some time and uncomfortable questions. I understand the motivation; however, I think the process dehumanizes both the art and our understanding of art. Plucking odd moments from a story and attaching a label to them (lying, alcohol use, sexuality, consumerism) does nothing to communicate the worth of a story, or its potential impact on a child. If my mom saw the CSM label for "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret," a book that made me sigh with relief that maybe I was normal, I wouldn't have been allowed to read it (emerging sexuality, Playboy references, etc.). That would've been a travesty.

2. Dandelion Greens: I know how good dandelion greens are for me. In fact, I've known for a long time, but until a few weeks ago I never tried them. What I couldn't get past was the image of my 86-year-old neighbor obsessively spraying every budding dandelion with the gleeful intensity of Chemical Ali. He hates them, and is none too happy with me when I let some pop out of the ground and turn to seed so my kids can blow on them, spreading the love. Last spring I considered eating the ones found on my lawn, but then my OCD took over and I imagined all the pesticides from my neighbor's lawn seeping into mine during the heavy spring rains. Anyhow, I was at Whole Foods about a month ago, found myself in front of the dandelion greens and, feeling brave, bought two kinds, regular and red. I love them so much I'm adding them to every recipe I can. So good!

3. Rewards: I believe in rewarding myself after completing a writing project. The rewards need not be material, but hey, they usually are. I'm not quite done with my revision yet (I'm sure my crazy smart agent will have even more ideas for making it better), but when I am, I'm buying myself this.

4. Olympics: Continuously awed. Amazingly proud. Totally inspired.

5. Recycling: This week our family did not have one bag of regular garbage to throw out come garbage day. Everything was recycled/composted, etc. Yay, us!

7 comments:

  1. That's awesome! Great pick for your reward. I'm buying the storysaurus t-shirt, myself (and maybe the panties). See www.totallythebomb.com for details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. IRON-ON TRANSFERS!! I just lost $35.

    And WOW on the no regular garbage! I am totally curious how you managed that one; I grumpily threw away our paper towel packaging today because it had no recycle symbol on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, that Paul McCartney pic brings back memories. I remember my dad had the cassette tape of that album and we listened to it in his old Toyota constant.

    And you've piqued my interest with these Dandelion greens. I've never tried them but I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read your post, ran to whole foods and bought dandelion green. They are really good. Thanks, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chantal--That's Jamie's site, right? I'll have to stop by.

    Alexa--We were totally flabbergasted. Tom was like, where's the garbage? We made a huge pot of soup and kind of ate it all week, so maybe that's why?

    LiLa--Your dad sounds awesome. And try the greens.

    Lori--I pour soup over the chopped greens. Really adds flavor. Glad you like them--they are loaded with vitamins and are supposed to cleanse your liver and kidneys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your recycling feat! You're my new hero!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Judith!

    I have to figure out how we did it so I can repeat the process!

    ReplyDelete