Friday came quickly this week, no?
Here's the top five for this fine week in September...
1. Mackenzie Phillips and the big secret. I must say consensual incest is a new phrase for me. Seems like it should be an oxymoron, but I'm guessing Mac is right when she says she's sure they weren't the first, but...ugh. Just, ugh. Denny Doherty is my new favorite Papa. Cass has always been my favorite Mama.
2. Health care. I have insurance but I know what it's like to live without. We need a new system before this one implodes.
3. Girl Crush of the Week: Oprah's friend Gayle. I swallowed my distaste for she that is O, and tuned in for Monday's swinging 60s extravaganza. Jon Hamm showed up, which was awesome, but what really tickled me was Gayle's visit to the Sterling Cooper set. She played a retro cute new secretary for Don Draper, and she rocked it.
4. The bread challenge. Two summers ago, I decided I would bake all the bread my family needs. I figured three months was a sensible test period--I lasted one-and-a-half before I ran screaming for Trader Joe's. I think I'm going to try it again, as soon as I go to Williams-Sonoma to buy these. Anyone have good bread recipes? I don't use a machine, though. I like to KNEAD--total stress relief.
5. Meeting other writers in random places is fun. The place? An old man bar in my neighborhood. Why was I there? A random get-together for local moms. There was one gal I hadn't met, and she turned out to be a former playboy scribe-turned-book-length non-fiction writer. She's about to start the query-go-round, so we had loads to talk about, and bored the living crap out of everyone else. I'm sure some of the other ladies woke up with hangovers because they couldn't get a word in edgewise and downed too many beers waiting for us to shut up!
Anyway, have a great weekend!