Monday, December 14, 2009

What the Kids Are Reading

I just got notice that my old high school recently renovated its library, adding a college resource center and top of the line computers. The librarian was interviewed for the alumni magazine, and I thought it made for interesting reading. Her focus wasn't on the updated technology or even the library's newly created blog, but "enticing students to pick up a book and read for fun...ultimately we strive to match a girl with a book." How cool is that?

A sidebar to the article included a list of the most popular books in the library. Eight hundred girls (Oh, excuse me, young ladies, as the nuns used to insist) attend this school--quite the sample group. I'm fairly certain the titles are in no particular order:

Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
This Lullaby by Sarah Dessen
A Million Little Pieces by James Frey
Just Listen by Sarah Dessen
Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson
The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak
A Child Called "It": One Child's Courage to Survive by David Pelzer

What's most interesting to me about this list is the absence of paranormal/urban fantasy (with the exception of Twilight). I'm sure the girls read it, but it seems contemporary novels with relationships at the core, romantic and otherwise, are checked out the most. Hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love this list and I loved most of these books. Interesting. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite interesting. And I'm so glad they are reading such diverse books. But I wonder whether the library is stocked with urban fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to know that,too, Tricia. The photo that accompanied the article showed a girl sitting at the library reading Manga, so I'm guessing they at least have some.

    ReplyDelete